Preparing dough

Woodworking Shop

Built: 1900. Original Building Name: George Douglass Carriage House. Original Location: Washington Street in Cape May

The Village woodworker demonstrates a velociped wood cutting machine, shingle making, carving and more!  The building also shelters a carriage, which is used to take visitors on horse and wagon rides with Levi, the Village horse.

This two-story Victorian style barn, now used as the Village’s woodwright’s shop, was built to hold a carriage, one horse and riding equipment.  The precursor to the modern garage, carriage houses and stables were common parts of the urban landscape before the invention of the automobile  The building’s basic form, along with its board and batten siding, were commonly used on Victorian buildings and were first popularized by the American architect Andrew Jackson Downing in 1850.